I was called to the bar in 1974 and am a partner at Torkin Manes LLP.
I have an unusual background for a mediator and arbitrator and that background may make me ideal for the resolution of your real estate or leasing dispute.
I articled and in the first 7 years of my legal career worked at an established general law practice. In those days, young lawyers did everything—real estate, incorporations, leases, commercial litigation, mortgage litigation, motor vehicle claims, family law and even criminal law. I was very comfortable in the courtroom and in the prosecution of law suits of all kinds.
In 1981, I joined the fledgling Torkin Manes where despite my litigation background but with my real estate, leasing and commercial law experience, I gravitated to commercial law and real estate—solicitor’s work. For me, gratification for the work I did came in completing projects within a reasonable time frame without much gamesmanship. Getting results and finding solutions was my driver.
However, my litigation experience served me well and my real estate transaction practice evolved to include court applications to repair titles, counsel to LawPRO to consider solicitors’ standard of care, providing opinions on matters of title, validity of contracts, rights of parties to close or resile from a transaction, interpreting lease terms, mortgagor and mortgagee rights, title and mortgage fraud, rent control, subdivision control, obligations to complete transactions and to use the court process to fix titles, and to confirm legal rights under real estate and leasing transactions.
My personal practice has evolved where parties in disputes seek out my experience, knowledge of the array of law that affects real estate and leasing transactions, my knowledge and understanding of real estate and leasing practice and procedure, all to assist them in resolving by mediation or arbitration their real property and leasing disputes.
- Awarded the Law Society Medal, June 2008
- Recipient of the Award for Excellence in Real Estate in 2000 presented by the Ontario Bar Association
- Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Real Estate Law
- Recognized in Lexpert/American Lawyer Media Guide to The Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in Canada
- Named 2015 Toronto Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate by Best Lawyers in Canada
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Pre-eminent Peer Review Rated
- Chartered Arbitrator, ADR Institute Ontario
- Inducted into the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (CADN).